Thursday, March 19, 2020

3-D Hands! (Rashi School Online Lesson)

Hello everyone! This is a drawing lesson for my students at The Rashi School. I hope you'll join along!

This is a popular drawing project on Pinterest. It's simple, and very cool. In this project, you will learn how the shape and directionality of your lines can lead to the illusion of 3-dimensionality on a 2-dimensional (flat) surface, in this case a piece of paper.

Materials: pencil, paper, black marker or pen, colored markers or colored pencils
Time Needed: Two 30-minute sessions

Here are the steps:

  1. Trace your hand and wrist on paper with pencil
  2. Using a pencil (in the photo, it's a marker, but I suggest pencil), draw a straight line until you reach your hand tracing, then create a curved line where your hand/wrist shape is. Then, continue the line to the other side in a straight line. It is as if there's a "bump out" where your hand/wrist is, and this is what gives it the 3-D effect.
  3. When you're going over your fingers, the lines are curved on the fingers, and straight in between the fingers
  4. Go over all of your lines with black marker. Do NOT outline your hand!
  5. Use two or more colors between the black lines. 
  6. Finish, stand back, look and say "WHHHHHOOOOOAAAAAA!!!"



2 comments:

  1. Will try this tomorrow. Although I am long past 6th grade chronologically, my wife assures me I'm still an 11 year old in my relationship to "life"

    ReplyDelete