Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Second Grade Chalk and Glue Portraits

Second graders created these striking portraits by drawing with glue on black 18×24 construction paper. The next class, they used soft pastels to create the vibrant color. I emphasized blending and layering colors, as well as using complementary colors, which they learned about in first grade. This is another project that I have “borrowed” from my own elementary art classes that I took as a child.
Reaction to the portraits has been astounding!  A staff member who is a professional artist marvelled at the sophistication of their line and technique. I put them up in time for Grandparents’ Day last Friday and received many compliments. There is something so haunting and dramatic about this style of portrait!

No comments:

Post a Comment