Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Fifth Grade Stenciled Matzah Covers

I love trying out new projects with my students. It's an adventure when there's a bit of the unknown: Will they like it? How can I foresee and troubleshoot challenges with techniques and materials? This matzah cover project exceeded all my expectations; the results were fabulous and the kids seemed to love every moment. After a lot of worrying about difficulty and mess, I'm glad I went with my gut and did the project!

First, students created folded and cut paper designs for the borders/corners. We used a "snowflake" technique that they were familiar with. Then, we discussed positive and negative space and they created stencils either by removing shapes from the paper to create negative space stencils, or by using the shapes as their stencils. We used bottled (not aerosol) fabric spray paint on white bandanas.
The somewhat unpredictable results made for a great time!






No comments:

Post a Comment